VSSVC.exe Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service -used for backup. If this process will be stopped, no back up at that moment. Also, if this service turns off, everything that depends on it will not run.
The process does not normally consume a lot resources, but if you are experiencing problems with full CPU or memory usage of the vssvc.exe process, then you can try to turn off it. The first thing you should do is to find the location of the file vssvc.exe. If it is found in the System32 folder, and its settings indicate that it is normal file and it is Microsoft’s native process. But if you find this process in a different folder, in all cases you should delete that file because this is virus.
Maybe you mention that when Word or folder’s properties opens there are a window “Previous Versions”. Everybody try to use this option at least once to restore settings that you lose or contents. Also, another function is System Restore that restores everything to a previous condition, but something can be lost. Especially if you made something after a recent restore of the computer
How to restart the process?
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSSVC.exe) does not normally consume a lot of resources, but if you are experiencing problems with full CPU or memory usage of the vssvc.exe process, then you can try to turn it off manually.
Try to stop system recovery and see if this reduces the computer’s boot.
Move to Control Panel > System > System Protection.
Write, services.msc in the “Start Search” field and press “Enter” to open the Windows Service Manager. Find the Volume Shadow Copy service, and then double-click to open the Properties window. Disable the process, and then start it one more time. Or just right-click it and select Restart.
In Winx64 system it can known as VSSVC.exe Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service (32-bit)
Other problems you can meet:
- Volume Shadow Copy Service initialization error: the control dispatcher cannot be started [%1].%2
- Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The COM Server with CLSID %1 and name %2 cannot be started during Safe Mode.The Volume Shadow Copy service cannot start while in safe mode. [%3]%4
- This machine is a Domain Controller but the Active Directory (NTDS) service is stopped.Restore cannot be performed while NTDS is stopped.Either the NTDS must be started (net start ntds), or reboot in DSRM.%1
- Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider (SWPRV) service isdisabled. Enable the service and try again.%1
- Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: Writer received a Freeze event more than two minutes ago.The writer is still waiting for either an Abort or a Thaw event.%1
- Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Internally transferred WRITER_COMPONENTS document is invalid.%1
- Volume Shadow Copy Service error: No volumes in the shadow copy set.%1
- Select this volume (%1) if it is a critical volume.Critical volumes are those which ASR must restore.
- The Volume Shadow Copy Service was unable to load the provider with identifier %1. Reinstall the providerand retry the operation. If the provider still fails to load, please contact the vendor responsiblefor that provider.%n%2
- Cannot force signature revert if no signature revert is requested.%1
- Volume Shadow Copy Error: The Registry Writer experienced an out-of-space condition while preparing the registry fora Shadow Copy. Check the Application and System event logs for any related errors.%1